donating hardware to that daycare - update

Oren Beck oren_beck at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 20 11:45:57 CST 2004

Matt Graham wrote:
>>> Recently I attempted to organize collecting about 4- 6 systems for a
>>>not-for-profit daycare center .
>>>The person involved with it is a close friend of my family AND this is
>>>an opportunity to get the little
>>>ones exposed <infected>  with Open Source  systems in their mundane
>>>lives . Thinking of having the
>>>Penguin familiar to preschoolers !  SO any one wishing to transfer about
>>>half to 3/4 of a Geo Metro
>>> load of workable for preschoolers if we load Linux on it stuff ? Call
>>>me voice at 816-632-5710 or
>>> leave mail to coordinate this - I'd love to make this  a xmas gift!
>

> I wonder if one of those roll-your-own style liveCD distros would be
> appropriate here.  Maybe ram availability would be an issue with some
> older machines, but it seems like it would uncomplicate things a bit.   I
> could see it being a little more predictable for the new-to-computers
> types.  You could design a slax, or a knoppix (or whatever) to boot with
> the right user, with the right software loaded etc etc.  And upgrades to
> their software would be as simple as sending them a new batch of cd's.
> Anyway, just an idea.
>
> Matt

YES! that would be a perfect project- if only our group has the skills
to pull it off .
The skeletal outline I derived from your concept can strip down to a
basic core cd .
That core cd having on it the "LiveOS" and the most used applications .
I am hopeful that each machine will have enough hd space to store
localuser files .
What would make this a dragonslaying project is if the userdata could be
stored in a
"webmail" account or a usb keychain drive -automounted of course .

The user experience being a goal of "no matter what goes wrong -reboot."
  And all that could be lost is the one unsaved session at worst.

NOW the LongView could be using either a multisession or rw+
multisession to make a "finished" project
self booting and independent of ANY off disc information .