Out-of-band OS installation

Dustin Decker dustin.decker at 1on1security.com
Sun Dec 19 18:55:31 CST 2004

[snip]

> where "redhat80" contained an entire Red Hat 8.0 distribution.  It would
> then be a simple matter to chroot into one of the directories, update
> SVN, and start building.
>
> Assuming that I didn't want a separate partition for each distribution,
> how would I go about installing them?

I think this would be a good opportunity to examine User Mode Linux... you
can assign a file system to a new OS install, which in the same fashion as
programs such as VMWare keep that whole file system in a directory, etc.

Modern distros are coming with UML either ready, or darned close to it from
a new install.  SuSE Enterprise Server 9.0 does, as well as Fedora Core 3.
(I'm sure there are many others as well.)

Dustin