Customizing UPSs

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Thu Dec 16 10:37:09 CST 2004

Dunae,

I've been under the impression that the more conventional liquid-based
automotive or marine batteries were more prone to discharging noxious fumes -
vaporized acid and hydrogen being of chief concern.  In discussions of using
them for solar power they warn to make sure that the batteries are both
enclosed and safely ventilated.

The term Gas Recombinant cells certainly implies that they wouldn't pose as
much of a problem.  What about the "gell cells" that are originally supplied
with stock UPSs?

If the stock cells are as bad as conventional "wet" cells, then wet cells
wouldn't be any worse and all you'd need to worry about is keeping the "box"
upright.
-----------------------------------
Further notes on battery types:

Motorcycle batteries are subject to more radical changes in orientation, and
usually vent through a tube that can be routed away from things that acid
might harm.

Miatas and some other cares now use a battery that has a sponge-like
fiberglass fill that gives some of the advantages of a gell cell while not
having the problem of the gell shrinking away from the plates.

In aviation, it's more common to see "wet" Nickel-Cadmium batteries as well as
conventional lead-acid batteries.  NiCads deliver higher current for a longer
time than equivalent weight lead-acids. (There has been a lot of advance in
conventional battery design, but aviation tends to stick with old tech
because it's tried and true.)

There's a lot of information on the web and in the public library on
alternative power systems, particularly oriented toward solar and wind, that
use batteries for storage and load leveling.  I'm sure some research would
pay off.