Lexar Secure Jumpdrives

Monty J. Harder mjharder at gmail.com
Mon Dec 13 23:28:27 CST 2004

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 12:02:24 -0600, Brian Densmore
<DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com> wrote:

> > The reason Linux found the drive is the filesystem is plain
> > old vfat (fat16).  Not real efficient, but  it works with ...
>
> Well, I'd have thought Linux would detect it regardless of choice of
> fs, afterall is should appear as a harddrive even if there is no
> fs on it.

  Some USB vendors use proprietary encrypted filesystems.  There's no
way Linux is going to detect something that the developers have never
seen before.

> I'm not too concerned about using it in windows. I would like
> to keep that compatibility, but I'd like to be able to encrypt
> it, not that I have anything of value I plan on putting on it.

  I'd keep it as FAT for maximum compatibility with anything, and do a
loopback mount of a file on that filesystem to do the encryption.