knoppix question

D. Joe kclug at etrumeus.com
Mon Dec 13 10:25:52 CST 2004

On Mon, Dec 13, 2004 at 08:48:20AM -0600, Brian Densmore wrote:
> I've booted Knoppix on my laptop which only has 96MB RAM.
> I didn't touch any keys to do this. Now to be fair there is
> a swap partition on the drive and it may have seen this and
> used it. In fact the creators would be foolish not to look
> for and use it.

How foolish it is depends on what you use the disk for.  If you
use it as a general-purpose system recovery/rescue disk, and
you're dealing with a system with some corruption or failures on
the hard drive, then using an existing swap partition could be
hazardous.

The lnx-bbc, in contrast, mounts partitions read-only, and only
activates existing swap if directed to do so.  This was a
deliberate design choice.

--
Joe