Secondary Slave

Brian Kelsay Brian.Kelsay at kcc.usda.gov
Fri Dec 10 11:13:21 CST 2004

Some Western Digital drives I've had wanted to be on CS, especially if the only drive in the chain.  I personally don't trust CS as far as I could throw it.  It can get confusing which drive you are using when installing an OS or a new bootloader.  CDRW drives like to be Secondary Master, but don't have to be.  When they first came out for IDE that was a general rule to installing one though.  Move the CDROM from SM to SS and put the CDRW on SM.  Or put the CDROM on as PS.  Can't remember which gives you better speed for CD to CD copy, but I imagine the best solution would be a drive controller and put em both on as masters.

Brian Kelsay

>>> "Brian Densmore" <> 12/10/04 10:58AM >>>
I've had problems with setups like this:

PM : HD
PS : CDROM
SM : none
SS : CDRW
[note this was by accident and I changed the
 jumper to make SS into SM to fix]

PM : HD
PS : none
SM : present but not detected
SS : CDRW
[I fixed this by moving the CDRW from SS to PS]

PM : HD
PS : none
SM : CDRW
SS : HD
[see above, also was able to fix by setting HD to
 CableSelect mode]

I think the problems I had were due to a flaky HD.
So the short answer is: no it's not just you.
I think that some HDs are just flaky. What brand of
HD was it? Mine was either a Conner or Seagate or WD.
The PM being a Quantum Fireball. Of course it's also best
to *not* mix HD brands, or even oftentimes product lines.

Brian Densmore