RPMs and Debs creation

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Wed Dec 8 14:52:04 CST 2004

Yes. From the command line.

> registry (unless you count gconf).   Please point me at any
> docs/URLs you found to be helpful in learning the process.
> I've skimmed the Debian Policy Manual for the important
> points, but I assume that more of it will become clear after
> I build and test a few .debs.

I don't have anything new to add, but if you read the linuxdevices
article then you probably saw a mention of pkgwrite.
http://www.ffem.org/daveb/pkgwrite/
Which will create .deb and .rpm from one control file.
I haven't looked for a gui install toolkit. Would be
a nice project, but since I never got the last project
I thought of off the ground I'm not certain about starting
a new one. On the upside, I've completed one of my home projects
and am well on the way to finishing up a second one.
[Way OT: Anyone know a good glue stripper, for stripping rug glue
off of concrete? One that preferably won't kill every living thing
in a 50 mile radius.]

As far as debs go, if you can make your depends rely on other debs, and
don't worry about indirect depends. If you know that your app depends on
Kwrite, then use Kwrite for the depend. Not Kwrite,KDE,X,etc. Let the
PMS handle the dependency tree.

Brian Densmore