RPMs and Debs creation

Uncle Jim jim at jimani.com
Wed Dec 8 14:45:53 CST 2004

Hi,

On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 02:24:35PM -0600, Brian Kelsay wrote:

> Has anyone created .rpm or .deb files for RedHat, SuSe or Debian systems?  Do you do everything from the command line or have you found any graphical tools to help with the process?

Take a look at checkinstall

  http://checkinstall.izto.org

It will do the hard part for an rpm .spec file, haven't tried it with .deb files.  From the
introduction:

        A lot of people has asked me how can they remove from their boxes a program
    they compiled and installed from source. Some times - very few - the program's
    author adds an "uninstall" rule to the Makefile, but that's not usually the
    case. That's my primary reason to write checkinstall. After you ./configure;make
    your program, It will run "make install" (or whatever you tell it to run) and
    keep track of every file modified by this installation, using the excellent
    installwatch utility written by Pancrazio 'Ezio' de Mauro <p at demauro.net>.

    When "make install" is done, checkinstall will create a Slackware, RPM or
    Debian package and install it with Slackware's installpkg, "rpm -i" or "dpkg -i"
    as appropriate, so you can view it's contents in /var/log/packages or remove it
    with removepkg (for Slackware), "rpm -ql" and "rpm -e" (RPM) or "dpkg -I" and
    "dpkg -r" (Debian).

--
Jim