RPMs and Debs creation

Brian Kelsay Brian.Kelsay at kcc.usda.gov
Wed Dec 8 14:24:35 CST 2004

Has anyone created .rpm or .deb files for RedHat, SuSe or Debian systems?  Do you do everything from the command line or have you found any graphical tools to help with the process?  Mainly so that you don't forget any important parts.  This may not be necessary on a Linux system as there are fewer pieces to an installed app than in Windows and no registry (unless you count gconf).   Please point me at any docs/URLs you found to be helpful in learning the process.  I've skimmed the Debian Policy Manual for the important points, but I assume that more of it will become clear after I build and test a few .debs.

I'm looking into the process to see if I can do this, since that is what I do in my day job for Windows systems.  I use Wise Package Studio and have used SMS Installer and Ghost Installer to make .msi and .exe files.  I am currently looking at Installshield and Nullsoft Installer to add to those Windows skills.  I haven't yet broken open an RPM or DEB, but have looked at the examples in the couple of howtos I read.
http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/cooldev/features/a_redhat_rpms_to_suse_cdev.html
http://linuxdevices.com/articles/AT8047723203.html
http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-binary.html

One thing I like about Wise Package Studio is the ability to see all the files to be installed as a part of a package and quickly switch to a view of the registry, .ini files, Add/Remove Programs Menu info and settings, install order or other views of the parts of the package.  Most of this appears like browsing the filesystem in Konquerer/Explorer.  You can easily add individual files/registry keys or whole directories/regkey trees.

Brian Kelsay