SSH Timeouts

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Tue Dec 7 19:44:17 CST 2004

On Tuesday 07 December 2004 02:43 pm, Gerald Combs wrote:

> The reason I asked about other protocols is that it helps to establish
> the case that the Fruit^H^H^H^H^HNetopia is at fault vs your particular
> SSH client.

True, it's a good idea for eliminating clients.  One of the reasons I've asked
is to rule out particular versions of (gentoo) SSH clients, since mine are
pretty stable.

Again, the clients didn't change, they had worked before the router change and
now they don't.  There _might_ have been a change in the specific version
number on the Gentoo systems at this site, but I note that they don't lock up
on local sessions, only on sessions to or from outside hosts.

> The difficulty lies in that most other protocols don't
> normally have long idle periods like SSH.  Of course, this may not
> matter if you can't get past front-line support.

Yeah, the closest I come is I'll sometimes minimize a Konqueror windows that's
got an FTP link to another server, but I think that it will re-establish the
connection invisibly if it gets dropped, so that's not a good test.  Other
than that, having learned on paid-by-the-second connections I'm compulsively
diciplined about closing a connection as soon as I'm done with the task I
opened it for.  (I remember when we upgraded from the accoustic coupler to a
direct connection and went to 56 Baud (NOT 56K).)