SSH Timeouts

Jason Clinton me at jasonclinton.com
Tue Dec 7 12:01:24 CST 2004

Jonathan Hutchins wrote:
> I'm looking for other people who are having trouble maintaining idle SSH
> sessions.

As a Linux company with clients all over the geographic North America,
we do a lot of SSH'ing. I'll risk sticking my networking foot in my
mouth and say that I've found that certain network hops close idle TCP
connections after a variable amount of time. By default, sshd does send
TCPKeepAlive requests at regular intervals but it's possible that these
are being ignored / discarded. The solution is to enable
ClientKeepAliveInterval in your /etc/ssh/sshd_config on all the servers
you connect to. I've found that a setting of 5 has worked everywhere.