the venerable 2.0 kernel series

Duane Attaway dattawaykclug at dattaway.org
Sat Dec 4 18:09:57 CST 2004

On Sat, 4 Dec 2004, David Nicol wrote:

> what are the advantages of using linux 2.0 kernels?  The series is still
> being updated -- Are the memory requirements really low?  Is it easier
> to hack on than the later versions? Are there hard limits, such as disk
> size or number of processes or ports?

I remember configuration was much easier, not to mention compile time.

It might be possible to forgo all the modern featuers of the newer kernels
for the tight binary of the 2.0.x days.  Its still good to see the old
series still maintained.

2.0.x were motorcycles.  2.6.x are like a fleet of Mac trucks.

-=Duane
http://dattaway.org