TV-OUT on laptop causes major damage, fire / shock

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Fri Dec 3 10:57:12 CST 2004

I suspect that the guts of the Inspiron 8xxx adaptors
is quite the same. With perhaps minor variations for
connectors. The reason being to be able to "lock-in"
users to a proprietary adaptor. Much like what vendors
have done with batteries. I could be wrong, it might be
that each laptop has different power needs, still they
could have generalized the adaptors. Just because one
model is being recalled doesn't mean that other models
aren't also having problems. It's generally "cheaper",
to face the lawsuits than it is to fix a component with
a faulty design, from a purely actuarial point of view.

Brian Densmore