TV-OUT on laptop causes major damage, fire / shock

Duane Attaway dattawaykclug at dattaway.org
Fri Dec 3 07:06:03 CST 2004

Your laptop power supply is definitely to blame here.  Chances are your
television and house wiring is correct.  There is a simple test to check:

Wall outlet: make sure the big spade has no voltage to ground (the round
hole,) and the little spade has 120 volts to both the big spade and
ground.

Television chassis: any exposed metal part should have 0 volts to nuetral
(large spade on electrical outlet) and 120 volts to hot (small spade) and
ground.  The television chassis should be wired to neutral.

There should be NO current from the DC side of the laptop power supply to
either hot or neutral at your wall outlet!  It should be completely
isolated up to thousands of volts.  They are isolated and supposed to be
"hi pot" tested to determine breakdown voltage.

I repeat: there should be NO current path from your laptop power supply to
the AC mains.  It shouldn't happen.  That means you shouldn't have
fireworks in your living room.  You shouldn't get shocked when you play
with your laptop in the bathtub.

Well, I lied.  There will be a stupid 1 megaohm resistor from the DC to AC
side to bleed off static electricity.  You may be able to feel a slight
shock from that under right conditions.  This is to prevent static
discharges from breaking down the opto isolator inside and eventually
smoking the power supply.  They should use grounded outlets to prevent
this annoying trickle shock.

Unfortunately, UL and CSA don't want to listen to the public unless they
are certified in positions of regulating authority.  So you might have to
talk to a Professional Engineer.  Or better, just have your lawyer do all
this for you:

https://www.ul.com/auth/regcon.cfm

Sue! Sue! Sue!  Someone needs to change the standards so we use grounded
outlets and not this annoying resistor design.  It would have also
prevented the disaster you have just described.

I can check your wiring and verify what happened if you like.