Fighting a spam fire with a DDoS

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Thu Dec 2 08:52:23 CST 2004

I have to agree too, and dang I wish I had some mod points on
/.

<rant back at rant>
> > It's funny when people use terms like "business model"
> > in relation to spammers because it paints a picture of
> > spammers as clean, intelligent, well-organized
> > business professionals which I think is rather
> > inaccurate.  Rather, I see spammers as a very untidy
> > bunch of no-account hoodlums of various shapes, sizes,
> > and dispositions.
The reason I use those terms is the worst spammers are both
organized and hoodlums at the same time. Oftentimes these
will be people in criminal syndicates with both legitimate and
black-market businesses. You think that just because someone
is a hoodlum they are disorganized? No, generally the opposite
is true. Successful criminals must be highly organized to avoid
capture and conviction. Spamming is big business, and it is
definitely run by underworld characters. There was a time
when cracking systems was the venue of teenagers, but it's
gone mostly to criminal syndicates these days. That is not to
say *all* spammers are organized or criminals. Some may be
victims of get rich quick schemes. Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.

</rant>