Fighting a spam fire with a DDoS

Monty J. Harder mjharder at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 14:14:53 CST 2004

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 13:40:25 -0600, Jeremy Turner <jeremy at linuxwebguy.com> wrote:

> Of course, if the zombie computers attract too much attention from the
> ISP in terms of bandwidth or such, the zombies could be shutdown that
> way.  Not nice, but effective.
>
> I couldn't get to the initial article.  That said, a solution like
> sa-exim's teergrubing isn't a bad idea either.

  Ich möchte Teergruben!  The beautiful thing about it is that it
doesn't shut anything down,  b u t   b y    s  l  o  w  l  y       t
h   r   o   t   t   l   i   n   g        b    a    c    k         t
 h     e           s      p      e      e      d      ....
it ties up the resources of the spambot so it can't send out tons of
email in a short amount of time, which is its entire purpose.  The
business model for spammers absolutely depends on sending out millions
of emails to get a handful of hits.  If we can just s l o w  them
down, it will affect them.  If the infected machine gets noticed
because it's no longer functioning, so much the better.  (I shut down
an open relay for a customer who had noticed the system was running
slowly, so it can happen!)