PAM

D. Hageman dhageman at dracken.com
Wed Oct 24 21:51:05 CDT 2001

On Wed, 24 Oct 2001, J Greene wrote:

> I'm running Slackware 8.0  and it is not installed by default plus I don't
> want to use RPMs.

Yeah, I was informed that Slackware was behind the times and not using
PAM.  I think Slackware is great if you are a big hacker and a *lot* of
free time on ones hands ...

The situation with not keeping up with other distros could be an issue for
it as many software packages are going to start making assumptions about
its environment.  LSB anyone?

> I prefer using the source and not a third party manipulated package.  It
> just seems more clean that way...

I assume this is in reference to RPMS ... these statements can sometimes
be derived from misconceptions about RPMS.  In a SRPM (Source RPM) ... the
virgin source is contained plus any patches that modify that source.  It
is recommended to RPM makers to split the patches up into the smallest
dependent chunk/feature chunk possible to assist in maintaining the
patchset.  The last thing that is contained is called the 'spec' which
includes all the build and install instructions it uses to install the
package.  If you take this and examine it ... you might learn how to
install it ... or how it is done on other systems so you can at least make
yours *compatible*.

> I ran the ./configure and "make" but I can't seem to find it. It should be
> in /lib/security, but it is not there.

:-)

--
||  D. Hageman                    <dhageman at dracken.com>  ||