Email

Chris Midkiff chris at datacaptech.com
Wed Oct 24 15:08:59 CDT 2001

Jose,

What distribution are you running?  Several of the newer distro's don't use
Sendmail at all, but postfix(Mandrake/Redhat) or qmail(I think Debian uses
qmail...).  They usually have a 'Sendmail Compatable' set of symbolic links,
so just because you can use the command 'Sendmail' does not necessarily mean
that you are actually running Sendmail.

In any case, I have never seen a default install set up a pop3 server
correctly, so you'll likely have to set that up as well.  Sendmail (or
Qmail, or Postfix) can accept outgoing email and forward it out fairly
easily.  You have to set up the server to allow forwarding (probably from
your local subnet only...).  In order to receive email from a pop3 client
(such as Outlook), you will have to run a pop3 server, like Qpopper
(http://www.eudora.com/qpopper/).

It's not nearly as difficult as it sounds.  The O'Reilly book on Sendmail is
indeed a great book, but you can probably get most of what you are looking
for in the howto's available at:
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Mail-Administrator-HOWTO.html

Chris Midkiff