Powerline 4 Megabit/s

Chris Midkiff chris at datacaptech.com
Tue Oct 23 14:24:30 CDT 2001

This has been in and out of the news for some time...  Media Fusion received
a US patent on a device (process??) that allows the IP data to pass around
transformers in 1999 (http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1004-200-1494768.html) and
was expected to demonstrate a fully functional system, but has yet to do so.
(their http://www.mediafusionllc.com/ site is 'under construction')

AFAIK, nobody has successfully demonstrated high bandwidth IP data over
power circuits without dramatically altering the transformers currently in
place.  This is the real key to this technologies success.  Having to
replace millions of transformers currently on the grid will make this
technology as expensive as Fiber to the Home
(http://www.wbsmith.com/fiber.html) without most of the benefits.

Chris Midkiff