trail balloon... or rick's folly...

Randy Rathbun randy at randyrathbun.org
Fri Oct 19 19:55:08 CDT 2001

I am all for it. I am planning on putting a 802.11 router at home in the
next few months for a number of reasons: mostly that I want to just pull
in the drive and have my laptop be online.

But, I want to do this for the other reasons too. To me the words "to hell
with 'em" apply. First, with DSL, for instance, nobody can tell what you
are doing. I can put as many computers as I want online, and this is
spelled out in the TOS. The only thing THEY allow me to do is have one IP.
No big deal there. As far as SWB can tell, I have one machine running and
that is all they are worried about.

I can NOT resell the service, however. This is not due to SWB, but is due
to zoning, my house loan, taxes, and MO Pub. If I moved everything I could
resell part of my bandwidth.

So, I plan on giving it away. I don't know how many people around me have
wireless. I don't plan on walking around and asking either. I just plan on
doing it and if someone finds it, they are welcome to use it. It's not
like downloading pr0n takes 1.5 Mbit anyway. Okay, maybe it does, but that
is beside the point.

Now, how can Sunflower help? How about a "KC Wireless Network" page? Have
maps that can show people where access points are. Why not have email
access there for folks? I don't plan on offering mail from my boxen for
people at all. I figure there are enough other people doing that for free
as in beer. Same with news and webhosting.

Randy

Randy Rathbun
randy at randyrathbun.org
nv0u at arrl.net