ADSL

Derek Moore derekm at hackunix.org
Fri Oct 15 23:52:58 CDT 1999

> I'm hoping that market forces will eventually force companies to be more
> creative ( i.e leaving "loopholes" to attract and retain customers ) and
> less "clever" intentionally ........
> What do you think ?

I don't mean to be arguementive or anything, but I really don't see that
happening. Dynamic IPs have around for ages. Why would that change now?
That and the DHCP protocol doesn't really contain any conventions for
putting in place such "loopholes." It's either yes or no. But dynamic IPs
aren't going to change. And I don't see many ISPs intentionally putting
loopholes in the way their system assigns IP addresses, it would be an
enormous security hole [ie: if you could hacked it so you kept your IP
indefinately then it wouldn't be much harder to steal someones IP and et
cetera].

Besides. The commercial Internet market is driven by money. That's all
they care about. Honestly. (I work for midwest's largest ISP, I know.
*grin*) If they could make another buck selling static IPs then they
certainly would make sure that you couldn't get that static IP without
paying first.

That's my $0.09. I'm done now.

/*  Begin Signature File  */
#!/usr/bin/perl -w
@sig = ("Derek Paul Moore",
        "derekm at hackunix.org",
        "I don't do Microsoft.",
        "I started with nothing & I still have most of it left.");
print ("$sig[0]n$sig[1]n$sig[2]n$sig[3]n");
/*   End Signature File   */