DSL/ipchains

unix g unix_g at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 14 15:33:41 CDT 1999

Greetings,
  I have a box w/RH6 that boots eth1 DHCP with a 10BT
connection to a DSL modem. I have eth0 configured for
a 192.168 network. I would like to disallow
connections to eth1 interface but allow any
connections out.

 I attempted something simple such as...

ipchains -A input -p tcp -i eth1 -j ACCEPT !y

 However dhcp didn't work upon reboot due to the
ipchains rule(I know, I know... gun, foot, shoot)

Any suggestions for better security without doing
ipchains rules for individual ports/services? Or, a
good trick for allowing bootpc services in a secure
way?

=====