Red Hat blues

mlee at microlink.net mlee at microlink.net
Wed Oct 6 00:01:24 CDT 1999

To the Editor of PitchWeekly:

With great interest, I read Joab Jackson's recent column on Red
Hat Linux ("Red Hat blues", Cyberpunk, Sept. 30-Oct. 6). I can
only wonder why Pitch publishes such drivel.  Jackson obviously
knows next to nothing about Red Hat (or Linux in general).  For
example, (s)he claims that "there is no way in RH 6.0 to easily
make Windows the default operating system."  This is completely
untrue.  Refer to Section 6.9.2 of the Red Hat Installation
Guide, which exists in electronic form on the Red Hat CD and on
the Red Hat web site.  As Figure 78 illustrates, the "custom"
installation method allows the user to select a default OS from
a list of options.  How much easier can it be?  Joab Jackson
should have RTFM.

In the column, Jackson claims to find fault only with Red Hat
Software.  However, most of her/his caveats involve fundamental
design features common to all flavors of unix (including all
distributions of Linux).  Concepts such as mount points and user
accounts enhance the stability, security, and flexibility of all
unix-like systems.  Some of us use our home PCs for more than
email, and we demand a high degree of control over our hardware
and personal files.  Jackson ought to try to understand why
Linux is different from lesser operating systems before (s)he
criticizes Red Hat for failing to "dumb down" the very features
that make their product special.

With a little research and experimentation, Linux newbies will be
able to simplify those tasks which at first appear to be
complicated.  They'll be able to mount a CD-ROM or connect to the
internet with a single click.  They'll be able to mirror an entire
FTP site or install a group of software packages with a single
command.  They'll be able to do things unfathomable under Windows,
and will be limited only by their imaginations.

I encourage those who have an interest in the Linux operating
system to consider joining KCLUG, the Kansas City Linux Users
Group, for one of our monthy meetings.  More information is
available at http://www.kclug.org.

-Matt Lee
 Mission, KS